Book review: Sorry to Disrupt the Peace


Title: Sorry to Disrupt the Peace
Author: Patty Yumi Cottrell
Publication Date: March 14, 2017
Pages: 288
Publisher: McSweeney’s
Date Started: April 9, 2017
Date Finished: May 4, 2017
Format: Hardcover



Sorry to Disrupt the Peace was a very different book from what I normally read. It was raw and real and gritty. It was essentially a stream of consciousness, presented from the mind of the narrator. I have to hand it to Cottrell, I have never felt like I was actually in someone’s mind before, but this novel was extremely convincing. Or, at least, it was very much like the inside of my mind and how I think. Maybe it’s not normal, who knows?

This novel follows Helen Moran after the death of her adoptive brother. She returns to the home of her adoptive parents and proceeds to process her grief over his suicide. In her grief, she decides to investigate his death in order to understand and come to grips with why he would choose to take his own life.

I don’t actually have too much to say about this one. It was okay. At times weird, others bordering on humorous. Part of me wished we got to learn more about the brother. He was the most interesting and enjoyable character. Though I guess this fits with the longing and loss that surrounds the novel.

Overall, 3/5 moose



Comments