A good cry



Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Publication Year: 2011
Pages: 216
Publisher: Walker Books
Date Started: February 21, 2017
Date Finished: February 24, 2017
Format: Kindle
Beverage of choice: Hot cocoa




Normally, I cry at the end of books. I’m a sucker for sad endings. So when I didn’t cry at the end of the last couple of books I read, I started to get concerned that I was broken. So I picked up A Monster Calls. I had just seen the preview for the movie and noticed that Jim Kay illustrated it, which immediately piqued my interested.

I am happy to report, I am not broken. Cue tears.


This book was beautiful. It reminded me of a grown-up Where the Wild Things Are. The story follows a boy named Conor as he struggles with his mother’s illness and the way everyone treats him. At night, a Yew tree outside his house transforms into a monster, which has promised to tell Conor three stories in exchange for a true story from Conor himself.

This book tugged at the heart strings, and makes the reader feel and understand grief and fear. By the end, the characters begin to feel like family. The artworks adds a whole other level to the story, with the strokes mirroring the emotions and turmoil that Conor feels. I read this on a Kindle, which still had the images, though I had read it from the book so that I could fully appreciate the artwork. I may have to actually buy this one.


Overall, 4/5 moose

Comments