Ten million stars



Title: A List of Cages
Author: Robin Roe
Publication Date: January 10, 2017
Pages: 320
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Date Started: March 8, 2017
Date Finished: March 9, 2017
Format: Hardcover
Beverage of choice: Strawberry Milk




This year my goal is to read as many new releases as possible, so A List of Cages was one of the first on the list. I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t looking forward to reading it, but gave it a try. And I am so glad I did.

My guinea pigs have less of
a cage and more of a castle
This book follows two high school boys who are connected through tragedy. Julian is a young orphan, and Adam was Julian’s foster brother shortly after Julian’s parents died. After they reconnect in high school, Adam realizes that something is different about Julian, and they struggle through both trying to understand the abuse that Julian must endure from his guardian, an uncle by marriage.

This book sucked me in immediately. The characters are so true and dynamic and wonderful. I cared about them immediately. This novel is also so sincere. It is clear Roe knows the subject well, which makes sense, since she is a mentor for youth and has a master’s degree from Harvard. Some of my favorite books when I was younger were Freak the Mighty and A Prayer for Owen Meany, and the feels I got from this book mirrored how I felt about the other two (no tears in this one though). The emotions rendered from the pages were both heart wrenching and devastating and I was left clinging on for dear life.

With this book to kick things off, I am very excited for what the rest of 2017 will bring.


Overall, 4/5 moose



Comments